EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Most Miami Dolphins fans believe Ryan Tannehill did enough in 2016 to maintain his starting position in 2017. And almost all Dolphins fans feel Jay Ajayi has shown enough that he may be a long-term solution at running back.
But a surprising 8-5 start to this season does not mask all warts.
And the Dolphins’ roster will have some headed into Adam Gase’s second season.
What do Dolphins fans feel the teams needs most as we enter Holiday Season?
Linebackers, linebackers, linebackers.
Nearly 1,500 readers of the Palm Beach Post’s Daily Dolphin cast their vote and by overwhelming majority, linebacker is the greatest offseason concern.
Middle linebacker Kiko Alonso is a restricted free agent and has excelled in 2016.
But Koa Misi’s season ended with a neck injury. Jelani Jenkins has been injured all season.
Donald Butler hasn’t really made an impact.
And Neville Hewitt, Spencer Paysinger and Mike Hull have been more depth players than starters.
So, which outside linebackers could possibly be available and appealing in free agency in 2017?
• Melvin Ingram, San Diego, 27 years old, Spotrac projected annual salary: $11.8 million/year, PFF grade: 87.1
• Chandler Jones, Arizona, 26 years old, Spotrac projected annual salary: $12.5 million/year, PFF grade: 85.6
• Nick Perry, Green Bay, 26 years old, Spotrac projected annual salary: NA, PFF grade: 84.0
• Datone Jones, Green Bay, 26 years old, Spotrac projected annual salary: $4.9 million/year, PFF grade: 71.9
• Jamie Collins, Cleveland, 26 years old, Spotrac projected annual salary: $10.4 million/year, PFF grade: 81.3
And, who are some linebackers that could be interesting in the 2017 NFL Draft?
• Tim Williams, Alabama
• Jabril Peppers, Michigan (LB/S)
• Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
• Reuben Foster, Alabama
• Jarrad Davis, Florida
• T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
Check out The Palm Beach Post‘s Miami Dolphins page on Facebook.