DAVIE — Nobody could have reasonably thought the Miami Dolphins would have a chance to draft offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil, even on draft day last season. So, this is in a sense, mission impossible.
But since the Dolphins are slotted to pick No. 23 (this could go up or down a bit based on playoff results) it’s worth at least looking at some of the players who are now projected to be available in that area of the first round.
The Dolphins’ top needs would seem to be: linebacker, defensive line, tight end and perhaps center or guard.
In the last four seasons, here are the players who have been selected No. 23:
• Vikings wide receiver Laquon Treadwell: Only one catch in his rookie season.
• Broncos linebacker Shane Ray: In his second season, 8 sacks and 33 tackles.
• Chiefs defensive end Dee Ford: In his third season, 10 sacks and 35 tackles.
• Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd: Only one game played this season; 9.5 career sacks.
Here are 12 players in the 2017 NFL Draft that may intrigue the Dolphins:
• LB Tim Williams, Alabama — Explosive pass-rusher. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• LB Jarrad Davis, Florida — Good vs. run and can blitz. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• DE Carl Lawson, Auburn — Complete end when healthy. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• TE O.J. Howard, Alabama — Receiving threat. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• TE Jake Butt, Michigan — Natural pass catcher. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio State — Versatile scrapper. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• DE Derek Barnett, Tennessee — Premier pass-rusher. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• LB Raekwon McMillan, Ohio State — Physical run stuffer. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt — Physical run defender. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• DL DeMarcus Walker, Florida State — Physical, versatile. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• DE/LB Charles Harris, Missouri — Exciting pass-rusher. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
• LB/DE Takkarist McKinley — Speed rusher. VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS