DAVIE–At this moment, running back Damien Williams is not on the Miami Dolphins.
That’s an issue of mild frustration, at a minimum, for the team right now as it goes through voluntary offseason workouts. Williams was a restricted free agent, and the Dolphins placed an original-round tender on him. That means he can sign to play the upcoming season for $1.8 million, a raise from the $600,000 he made last year.
Williams hasn’t signed it, and it’s clear Miami would’ve liked for him to wrap this up by now. It’s strange that he hasn’t.
“We have his rights,” vice president Mike Tannenbaum said. “He hasn’t signed his tender. He is a restricted free agent and our tender is still out there.”
But why hasn’t it gotten done?
“You would have to ask him,” Tannenbaum said.
Williams, 25, was free to test the market and see if anyone wanted to make an offer bigger than one year, $1.8 million, and the Dolphins would have the right to match it. He visited the Patriots this month, but there was no deal. The deadline for him to sign elsewhere was April 20, so his only option is to take Miami’s tender offer.
He was a key weapon in coach Adam Gase’s offense last year and found ways to be effective as a running back and receiver. He was third on the team with six total touchdowns scored and had a combined 364 yards from scrimmage. He’s also a kick returner.
“For us, we worry about the players that are here,” Tannenbaum said. “And again, just to keep it in context, we are in the voluntary part of the offseason program. We are thrilled with the people that are here, the players that are getting coached. When Damien comes, that is obviously something you would have to ask him.”
The Dolphins currently have Pro Bowl running back Jay Ajayi and last year’s third-round pick Kenyan Drake in place, plus they drafted receiver Isaiah Ford in the seventh round.
Check out The Palm Beach Post‘s Miami Dolphins page on Facebook