MINNEAPOLIS—It’s unlikely the Dolphins will keep three quarterbacks on the roster as they cut it to 53 by Saturday afternoon’s deadline, but camp invitee David Fales hasn’t been given any indication he’s being let go.
Fales, who had a nice game against Minnesota on Thursday, thinks he’s done enough to give himself a shot at making the team.
“I think this game helped and the first game helped,” he said. “I just have to keep playing that way… I thought this helped.”
In the Vikings game, without many starters in on either team, he completed 12 of 20 passes for 193 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
This is the fourth year Fales, 26, has been trying to establish himself since the Bears took him in the sixth round in 2014. He spent that season and the following one (when Adam Gase was Chicago’s offensive coordinator) on their bench, then went to training camp with Baltimore in 2016 before resurfacing with the Bears.
It is somewhat plausible for the Dolphins to keep a third quarterback considering that Jay Cutler is 34 and Matt Moore is 33, though they badly need to ensure their depth at several other positions.
Fales would be a more enticing option for Gase if not for the fact that he’s ineligible to be placed on Miami’s practice squad. If he is cut, he’ll hit the open market.
It looks likely the Dolphins will cut fellow backup Brandon Doughty, who was on their practice squad last year and could be brought back in that role.
Unlike Doughty, Fales has NFL game experience. While on Chicago’s active roster last year, he made one appearance and completed 2 of 5 passes for 22 yards.
Given how many times he’s been in this situation, he doesn’t like it, but he’s relatively at peace with the process of waiting out roster decisions.
“After your fourth year doing it, you don’t really try to predict because you don’t know,” he said. “I just understand I can’t stress myself out trying to predict every possible outcome.”
Check out The Palm Beach Post‘s Miami Dolphins page on Facebook
Join our reporters for a special evening as they talk NFL with Dolphins Pro Bowl Guard Jermon Bushrod, two-time Super Bowl champion Bob Kuechenberg and former Dolphins Pro Bowl linebacker Kim Bokamper on Tuesday, Sept. 5 at 6:30 p.m. at Bokamper’s Fort Lauderdale. The event is free to the first 100 people and will include raffles, light bites and drinks.