Highlights of Dolphins coach Adam Gase’s huddle with the media Thursday:
- On Lawrence Timmons: “He looked good. Very excited to be out there.”
- On run defense’s statistical improvement: “I try to stay away from getting caught up in any numbers right now. It’s early in the season.” Says players have “great sense of urgency” about continuing to stop those long runs.
- Says he saw “great intensity” in Wednesday’s practice following Jets debacle.
- Says defensive guys know Gase wants offense to be better than it has been, because offense owes it to the defense to stop putting D under fire. He wants offense to control ball.
- On Jay Ajayi returning to London, nursing knee: “One thing I know about Jay, when the ball’s kicked off, he’s going to be ready to go. … He hasn’t let any of his teammates down yet.”
- On logistics: Says team has tight schedule once it lands in London. “Biggest thing is getting sleep and making sure when Sunday comes, we make it feel as normal as possible.” Says this is “a little bit of a run for us,” taking care of their bodies and resting for a stretch that began with California trip.
- On DBs challenging receivers: Says it takes guts. Says best ones, if they get beat, they forget it and move on. “If we want to be a great defense, we’ve got to be aggressive. … I think a lot of this profession is confidence.”