Here’s what Adam Gase said Tuesday in the wake of that 45-21 debacle against the Carolina Panthers:
- Says “effort is really hard to question with this group … sometimes guys try to cover for other guys, that’s where you see some of those big plays occurring.”
- Compares it to last year where defense slipped as season went on. This year, team stayed healthy, “We just kind of lost our way for a minute here.”
- Did team overestimate talent they have? “I don’t think so. I feel good about the group we have out there. We have to put ourselves in position where games don’t get out of hand.”
- Says “big difference” in offense studying assignments, big improvement from couple of weeks ago. “For most part, I do see guys who made big strides.”
- On lack of explosive plays: “That team last night, that’s a tough team to throw the ball down the field on.” Cites good pass rush and DBs playing off for Panthers, making you drive down field.
- On defense last three weeks: “We’re probably overcompensating in certain spots where guys are covering for other guys.” Says they have good players in front seven but guys are covering for other’s gaps. “We’ve got to just tighten it up.”
- On the offensive line: “There was a lot more good than bad. That’s a tough front seven. That defense is playing about as well as you can play. That was probably one of the better games we’ve actually played. We just couldn’t make the right play at the right time.”
- On Kenyan Drake: Dolphins saw on tape that Panthers can be very aggressive, thought they might be able to get Drake to second level on that long run.
- On rebounding for Tampa Bay: “This group’s pretty good at moving on. I think the coaching staff, too. That’s our job.”
- On Xavien Howard: “Short-term memory guy.” Says the last TD, “There’s not many guys that are going to defend that.” Calls it perfect throw, perfect route, well-executed play. “He’s a good player. He’s going to keep playing hard and he’s going to play tight coverage.”
[PHOTO GALLERY: Amazing images from the Fins’ embarrassing loss in Carolina]
Get stories in real time by liking the The Daily Dolphin Facebook Page