With their first pick on Day 3 of the NFL Draft, the Dolphins took their second tight end of the draft, nabbing Durham Smythe out of Notre Dame. Here are five things you probably don’t know about the newest Dolphin:
1. The 6’5”, 257-pound blocking tight end was a four-star recruit coming out of Belton High School in Texas and was ranked as a top-10 tight end in his draft class.
2. Smythe graduated from Notre Dame in May 2017 with a degree in sociology.
3. On the football field, Smythe had a modest 28 catches for 381 yards and six touchdowns during his five-year career with the Fighting Irish. He had only one season with double-digit catches, but he caught four touchdowns as a junior despite making only nine total catches that season.
4. The Texas native caught a 27-yard touchdown pass from new Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen in the Senior Bowl.
5. Smythe needed separate surgeries to fix shoulder and knee injuries suffered during the 2015 season.