Miami Dolphins formulating plan for QB Ryan Tannehill in OTAs

No issue is bigger for the Dolphins this year than Ryan Tannehill’s return. (Allen Eyestone/The Post)

DAVIE — The Dolphins are planning on quarterback Ryan Tannehill returning to the practice field this month for the first time since a major knee injury last summer, but they’re still finalizing a plan for his workload.

He’s looked strong throughout the rehabilitation process, including some workouts in public view last season while Jay Cutler played quarterback, and coach Adam Gase has been encouraged by what Tannehill’s been doing recently.

“I’ve seen a guy that’s very confident,” he said. “I know he’s excited to get back out there. I know us as coaches, we’re excited to have him out there. He’s just really smooth with the operation that we’ve been able to do as far as what we’re doing in practice or those throwing sessions. It just feels smooth.”

Tannehill has not spoken to the media since the injury, but is expected to do so during Organized Team Activities, which start May 22.

While he might appear to be back to normal, the Dolphins are being careful about their plan for him and are seeking ongoing input from medical personnel.

“He looks good to me, but at the same time, he still has to go through all of those steps with the doctors and with our trainers,” Gase said. “We’re just going through the process of it all right now. I know nobody wants to hear that, but that’s just what it is.”

Tannehill was playing the best football of his career in Gase’s first season before going down with a left knee injury in December.

Over the final eight games of 2016, the last time he played, he completed 69.1 percent of his passes, had 13 touchdowns against five interceptions, averaged 215 yards per game and posted a 100.1 passer rating.

He elected to rehab that injury, which was diagnosed as a Grade-2 sprain to his MCL and a sprained ACL, rather than have surgery. He made it through all of the offseason program, but his knee gave out in training camp and ended his season. He had surgery last year, and the Dolphins turned to Cutler and Moore.

This season, they have Brock Osweiler and David Fales as the primary competitors for the backup job, and Bryce Petty is getting a shot as well. Gase was adamant today that he will be content to go forward with Osweiler or Fales as the No. 2 quarterback and won’t be making any desperate phone calls to veterans if Tannehill goes down again.

[Miami Dolphins’ 2018 salary cap spending shows their priorities]

[Takeaways from the Yahoo! Sports scouting series on the Dolphins]

[Parkland-Douglas football team makes Miami Dolphins draft announcements]

Check out The Palm Beach Post‘s Miami Dolphins page on Facebook.