Mike Pouncey said he was heartbroken when he and the Dolphins were parting.
Now it seems he’s bitter.
Pouncey, a Pro Bowl center, was released by the Dolphins last month after declining to take a pay cut. He quickly joined the Los Angeles Chargers.
Speaking to reporters in Southern California on Monday, Pouncey said he was unhappy that the Dolphins texted his agent, Joel Segal, to let him know he was being released instead of calling Pouncey directly.
“They have added fuel to the fire,” Pouncey said.
The comments were tweeted by Fernando Ramirez, a reporter for the NBC affiliate in San Deigo, and Dan Woike, who covers the Chargers for the Los Angeles Times.
Segal did not immediately return a message from The Post.
The Dolphins declined to comment.
But Pouncey’s comment likely surprised some in Davie. For one, his release came only after the Dolphins asked him to take a pay cut. After declining, Pouncey asked to be released, so the move couldn’t have come as a surprise.
Secondly, Pouncey at the time put an upbeat face on his departure, saying he gave Miami everything he had and was “heartbroken” to be moving on.
“At the end of the day I’m a Miami Dolphin for life,” Pouncey told The Post. “This city gave me an opportunity to play in the NFL. I think it was awesome. I had a hell of a ride here.”